Wiregrass United Way Exceeds Goal | Community Spirit
Overall campaign chair Mary Beth Maddox announced this morning that the Wiregrass United Way has reached their annual fund raising goal. The goal that was announced back on August 1st at the Pacesetter Kickoff was $2.5 million. As of today the campaign has raised $2,501,324. In addition, there are several area businesses that will be finishing their employee campaigns this month.
By reaching the goal, the Wiregrass United Way will now receive an additional $400,000 from the Wiregrass Foundation. When the campaign started, the Foundation challenged the local United Way to reach their goal and the Foundation would then contribute $400,000 for the United Way to distribute to their partnering organizations.
Walter Hill, Chief Executive Officer of the Wiregrass United Way, credited the dedicated volunteers and staff for their hard work during the campaign. “Once again we were blessed with strong leadership from our volunteers. They all said that we would make the goal and they all worked hard to get us to this point,” he added.
The county campaign chairs were Mary Sue Cain, Coffee County; District Attorney Kirke Adams, Dale County; Barbara Stripling, Geneva County; Headland Mayor Ray Marler, Henry County; and Jeff Collins, Houston County. There were numerous volunteers throughout the area that served as Loaned Executives and Campaign Coordinators.
Trent Dillard is chairman of the board of trustees for the Wiregrass United Way this year. Dillard thanked the many volunteers who spent numerous hours assisting with the campaign. “It takes a lot of people working together toward a common goal to achieve a goal of this magnitude,” he stated. “We could never have reached this milestone without the dedication of so many people. On behalf of the thousands of Wiregrass residents who will benefit from the programs and services provided by the agencies we say thank you.”
The Wiregrass United Way has served the Wiregrass Area since 1938 currently funding 37 community impact partners in Coffee, Dale, Geneva, Henry and Houston Counties. Funds raised by the Wiregrass United Way are utilized locally in the five county area. A committee of local volunteers determines how the funds are distributed among the member agencies. For more information call 792-9661.
Information Source: Wiregrass United Way
Top Enterprise Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Opp City Schools
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Andalusia City Schools
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Covington County Schools
- Extreme Experience Retreat for the Blind/Visually Impaired Adult - 2013
- County Road 12 - Wakeboarding on Gantt Lake
- Luverne man leads authorities on a 20 mile, 142 mph chase
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rate for Crenshaw County Schools
- Man wanted in Montgomery's 26th homicide turns self in to Luverne Police
- Craft Day is today at Luverne Public Library
- Crenshaw County author to hold book signing in Montgomery